Thursday, March 14, 2013

Day 3

It's all starting to come together now!  I put the base together late last night and this morning put the top part together.  This was not easy without help, I wish someone else was home to hold one side up while I drilled pilots and screwed.  Either way -eventually, I got it.

I just finished putting the 2nd coat of black paint on both the lower and upper parts.  Once it dries, I'll get some help and take it down to the basement to assemble it.  I can't do the monitor shelf until the rest is assembled so I can see exactly where it needs to be, but I did add the keyboard tray and 12" tray slides today, which really made the whole thing sturdy up.

One minor screw up so far, I drilled the top shelf into the same side of both upper sides... (instead of one left and one right.)  Damn, I guess not too bad.  I just wasn't really thinking things through.  I did also buy 3 vents - 1 for the computer in the back, and the other 2, round for the side/rear speakers.  I'm not sure if I'll do one more in the front for the subwolfer, but I think I will, which might attach to the door which will open to get PC access.  As of now, the front panel is just one solid piece.  If/When I cut it, it'll be already assembled.

12" sliders were surprisingly hard to find.  Home Depot to the rescue.

The keyboard tray mounted.  It took quite a bit of sanding to get it smooth.  I guess I cut the piece very slightly too big.


Keyboard tray closed.  It will actually not close this far once I put the T-Molding on.  It will be more of a 15 degree angle out towards the CP.

Just another look at the hinges.  Pretty heavy duty.  I can imagine some serious PC gaming on this, so I wanted it to be heavy enough to take the weight of my arms.

I added a 2x3 across the back and even with the bottom of the CP for some added stability.  This wasn't part of the original plans, but I'm glad I did it.

This part is done!

Showing the actual angle of the keyboard tray lip when closed.

This one picture doesn't come close to showing the effort it took to assemble this solo.  My back will be feeling it for days.

This is how I mounted the top shelves to avoid screws from the outside.


2nd coat of paint on and drying.  Next step is moving it to the basement.

Cost:
Keyboard Tray sliders: $5
Extra rollers: $3
Foam brush: $1
3 Vents: $30 - this was a bit of an unexpected expense.  I just saw them and thought they would be perfect!



No comments:

Post a Comment