Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Day 1 on my widescreen 37" MAME

I decided after a long time of thinking about it that it was time to build a new MAME cabinet.  I actually built one about 7 years ago, but got side-tracked after getting it playable, and never went back to it.  It was for a 19" monitor.  When I got my mame stuff back out, it just looked so tiny, I knew I had to do better.  That started this project.

I have the software all running on my current PC and 37" monitor (tv) which will go in the cab, giving me an excuse for a new pc down the road.

Currently, I'm usuing GAMEEX for my front end and liking it a lot.

The initial sketch.  Based very much on:  http://www.kraylixarcade.com/

The rough pieces and very estimated measurements.  There will be a lot of eyeballing stuff.


Used my old wheels and 2x4's from my old mame cab to create a base.  34.5x18"

Ummmm.... Well, I cut into my saw horse.  I guess it could have been my leg.

This is the upper part of the side.  Mostly free handed the first one and tracing the other side.

Assembling the base (also, supporting New Jersey I guess.

Checking out the sides, base and front panel.  This will eventually have a door and coin door cut in.


Cutting the base side.

This is a huge stack of wood.  3 sheets total.

The sides stacked up and checked to make sure they are the same.  So far, so good.

The back piece.

I'll list the dimensions of everything I cut here.
Base Sides: 34 tall x 24 deep
Bottom Shelf: 34.5 tall x 18 deep
Front of Base: 34.5 wide x 28 tall
Marquee Trays (x2): 36 wide x 7 tall
Back of Lower Panel: 34.5 wide x 11 tall
Keyboard Tray: 33.5 wide x 14 deep
Speaker Tray: 36 wide x 9 deep

Outside Top Portion: 9" deep at top / 7" straight down front side, than angle for 46" before making an angled lower portion and angle back up.

Tomorrow is sanding and routing.  I'm fairly nervous about it, although my practice piece routed perfectly tonight.

Monitor Shelf will go on almost last so I can put it exactly where and at what angle I want.

I am going to attempt to keep track of how much this monstrosity costs me in the end.  I won't count screws/nails since I'll be working with the box my dad gave me when I moved to my first place.  I have about 8 trillion screws of different sizes.

3 Sheets of 3/4" Composite wood: $60
3 Sheets 240 Grade Sandpaper: $4
Tack Cloth: $3

No comments:

Post a Comment